One Soldier's study of luck.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Round and Round We Go

I'm pretty smoked from this past week, which included a jump, various ranges (M4/M249), Convoy Patrols both day and night, and me giving the entire battalion a class on crew-served weapons. I'm pretty scatterbrained right now, but I do have some random thoughts for the week:

I had to get a few things for my house at about 10:00pm this past Saturday evening. I try to get all my Suzie homemarker crap done during the afternoon, so I can go out with the guys and drink and hit on women at the various local bars. Like I said before, I was pretty smoked from this past week, so I didn't really feel like going out. Target is closed, so I head down to the local Wal-Mart. Mistake. I figure that at this time on a damn Saturday night most people would be home with the family, or at least, out getting drunk at a bar like normal people. I pulled my car int a parking lot full of vehicles, thinking that there was some special promotion going on. One would think that it was 10:00am on Christmas Eve; feeding time at the consumer trough.
I try not to shop at Wal-Mart, for multiple reasons. I have an educational background that includes economics, but I don't buy into the normal evil-Conglomerate bullshit reasons I often hear against the company. Apart from any economical reasons, the place just bugs the shit out of me. Wal-Mart is the bastard child epitome of Americana- A person could walk into one of these warehouses at any hour of the day, and buy any household product or food. Something about the aura that you can feel when you walk in...it's hard to verbalize. I won't be going back unless it's absolutely necessary.

There is a built-in DVR system in the cable here. It's like TiVo, and friggin' rocks.

Those California Pizza Kitchen BBQ Chicken Pizzas are delicious.

Colorado owns every other state I've been to as far as beer goes, especially North Carolina. (Texas was a close second, but without the micros.) The whole booze system is pretty screwed up here. There are no 'Liquor Stores', except for the Class Six (Booze) stores on Fort Bragg. There are 'ABC' stores that sell liquor, but no beer. Grocery stores sell beer, but nothing all that great, and definitely no microbrews. For a kid that went to College in Boulder, this is damn near ridiculous. Maybe I can get the New Belgium Brewery to mail me a keg every once a while, at least before I deploy.