One Soldier's study of luck.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Origins of the Lucky Chronicle


Luck

n 1: your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion" [syn: fortune, destiny, fate, lot, circumstances, portion] 2: an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another; "bad luck caused his downfall"; "we ran into each other by pure chance" [syn: fortune, chance, hazard] 3: an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that leads to a favorable outcome; "it was my good luck to be there"; "they say luck is a lady"; "it was as if fortune guided his hand" [syn: fortune]


Before and during my teenage years, I remember spending summers at my Grandmother's large home in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Grandma Elwin was an Irish woman working for the allied war effort during the 1940's. Here she met my grandfather, who was serving in the Army Air Corps. The two married, and moved to the midwest following the end of the war. Grandma Elwin would always have these cute stitched or crocheted things hanging up in her house with little Irish proverbs on them. Being fairly young at the time, I'm sure this is where I began my fascination with luck. My fascination has continued, through seasons playing hockey as a goaltender (some of the most superstitious people in the world are goalies) and especially now, as I routinely throw myself out of aircraft and deploy to Iraq in the fall. I'll keep track of how well Lady Luck and I get along here, hence the title. Cheers.